Skip to main content

Additional special educational needs help in school

Your child may need extra help with their learning within a mainstream school, but does not require a statement of special educational needs.

Every child is individual. They all develop and learn at different rates.

This means that different teaching styles will be used in the classroom to support children with their learning.

Different approaches to teaching

Arrangements will be made to help with medical conditions or disabilities that affect your child’s schooling.

All schools provide a cycle of planning, teaching, assessment and evaluation that takes account of the wide range of abilities, aptitudes and interests of children.

Most children will benefit from these different approaches and will make progress, whilst other children may require more support for special educational needs (including learning difficulties, medical conditions, or disabilities).

Additional help - School Action

The school must tell you when they think that your child has special educational needs (SEN).

Your child’s teacher, Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) or equivalent will collect information about your child, which may include additional information from you and other people who work with your child.

They will discuss with you what extra or different help is needed. This is called School Action.

In addition an Individual Education Plan (IEP) will be drawn up for your child based on the needs identified.

School Action will continue until it is no longer needed or it is decided that your child needs additional support at School Action Plus.

School Action Plus

If there are concerns that the progress your child is making with support at School Action is not adequate the SENCO or equivalent will ask your permission to seek further advice from external support services.

They may want to ask for help from, for example, a specialist teacher, an educational psychologist, a speech and language therapist or other health professional.

The SENCO or equivalent will usually develop a new Individual Education Plan (IEP) based on this additional advice. You will continue to be involved, and your child’s progress will be regularly recorded and reviewed as at School Action.

School Action Plus will continue until it is no longer needed or it is decided that a request for a statutory assessment may be appropriate.

Back to top Contact US
Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited