The Sheffield Breastfeeding Friendly Award is funded by Sheffield City Council and part of the Sheffield Let’schange4life Programme and is delivered by Sheffield Wildlife Trust. It recognises public places and workplaces which offer a good level of facilities and support for breastfeeding mothers and their families.
The Award offers reassurance to mothers that they will be able to breastfeed their child in comfort and with full support of the staff and venue.
What makes somewhere breastfeeding friendly?
- Comfortable seating
- Supportive and helpful staff
- An area large enough for other family members
- A ‘breastfeeding friendly’ symbol is clearly displayed
- A breastfeeding policy is in place and publicised to staff and users
Who can Apply?
All venues in public places which could be used or visited by breastfeeding mothers, and any workplace that would like to help its employees to sustain breastfeeding.
Health Benefits of Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding has major health benefits for babies and their mothers
- Mothers who breastfeed decrease their chances of having ovarian and breast cancer. They have fewer chances of having brittle bones in later life and get their shape back faster!
- For the baby, breastfeeding delivers protection from conditions such as chest and ear infections, eczema, asthma and obesity in later life.
Achieving the Sheffield Breastfeeding Friendly Award
- You will be supported in your efforts to achieve the award and provided with training guidelines for staff
- Once accredited, your premises will benefit from positive promotion in the City to include press releases and listings within breastfeeding friendly directories
- You will be provided with promotional materials to advertise your involvement with the award and to explain why you are supportive of breastfeeding mums
- There are no fees involved at any stage of the awards process
- By achieving the award, you will be helping to improve public health in Sheffield
If you feel you meet the criteria, or if you would like further support and information, please contact Clare Robinson, Sheffield Breastfeeding Friendly Award Co-ordinator