Children, young people and adults who meet the criteria for NHS Children’s Continuing Care, NHS funded Short Breaks or Continuing Healthcare for adults can choose to have their care delivered via a personal health budget.
Personal health budgets enable you and your family to have greater choice and flexibility over how your child’s health outcomes can be met.
Sheffield Clinical Commissioning Group (SCCG) is working with the local authority and NHS providers to expand the offer so that more children and young people can access a personal health budget in future; this will include those that have an EHC plan.
For further information about personal health budgets, please visit:
Requesting an assessment for Children’s Continuing Care, NHS Funded Short Breaks or Continuing Healthcare for adults
Requests for a Children’s Continuing Care Assessment, NHS Funded Short Breaks or a Continuing Healthcare for Adults assessment should be made by the clinical or social care team involved with you and your family to the Continuing Care team at the SCCG, who will progress this (see contact details below).
SCCG can then refer you to a specialist Personal Health Budget Team, who can offer you advice, information and support with a personal health budget, as well as signposting you to other organisations, or more specialist support planners, if this would be appropriate.
Types of personal health budgets
Following SCCG approval and quality processes, you can choose how you would like your personal health budget to be managed from one of these four options:
- Direct payments - a direct (cash) payment which is paid into an account for you to buy and manage services yourself.
- A notional budget, where SCCG holds your personal health budget and buys the support identified in your child’s assessment of needs on your behalf.
- A third party budget, where a service provider, user-led organisation or a broker manages it for you.
- A combination of the above.
The personal health budget can be combined with a personal budget from the local authority (if available) to support the development of joint outcomes for your child.
If you are interested in requesting an assessment, or for more information, please contact the team by telephone on 0114 3053020, or email . firstname.lastname@example.org
Last reviewed: 12/03/2020
Information owner: Sheffield CCG
You can find out more about personal Health Budgets here:
- The NHS have a detailed advice on personal health budgets in general:
- Skills for Care supports adult social care employers and they have produced guidance on employing PAs whilst in hospital:
- The NHS have a detailed advice on personal health budgets for children, young people and families:
- The NHS have also published an easy-read guide to personal health budgets: