Skip to main content

Moving into a supported living scheme

Supported Living schemes are for adults with disabilities and/or mental health problems who would not be able to live in their own home without care and support.

There are different types of housing available, depending on what you want. You can live in a shared house with a small number of other people; live at home by yourself; or live in a small group of self-contained flats.

In Supported Living schemes, you have your own tenancy and are supported by a staff team. The team help you learn to be as independent as possible and access the things you want to do.

Supported living is not just for people who are more independent.  It is suitable for all adults who need care and support, including people with the most complex needs.  It is about living life with the same choices, rights and responsibilities as others.

In Sheffield the number of working-age adults with disabilities living in Supported Living is increasing. The number of working-age adults with disabilities living in residential housing is decreasing.

How to find a Supported Living Scheme

 Talk to your social worker about Supported Living.

Supported Living accommodation is arranged by social workers who can talk to you about what you want, where you want to live and who you want to live with. They will tell you about the different options.

You pay the Supported Living accommodation costs, usually through your benefits.

The cost of the care and support is met either by the council or you, depending on your income and savings.

If you do not have a social worker but want to find out more about Supported Living please contact the First Contact Team.

Last review: 09/06/2020

Information owner: Strategy and Commissioning, People Portfolio

Last Updated: 13/11/2020
Back to top Contact US
Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited