AFC Unity is an alternative football club for women, focused on bringing the game back to its grass-roots as a uniting force, bringing people together for the love of the game beyond vested interests and the influence of profit. AFC Unity focuses on women, as they have been historically excluded, and aims to produce and promote positive role models.
AFC Unity envisions a society where the football club plays an active role in its community, engaging and empowering women as positive role models, and using the sport to encourage unity, solidarity and social cohesion.
AFC Unity aims to:
• empower women by engaging women in football and encouraging development, regardless of background, experience or ability
• tackle misconceptions by challenging sexism and preconceived notions around areas such as gender, sexuality, race, religion, and age, and promoting women’s football as a grassroots sport dedicated to the non-profit ethos
• promote social justice by using football as a tool to bring communities together, developing a positive ethos and identity for the club
• oppose oppression by empowering women to challenge the sport’s image as a man’s game, engage in community activities, fundraising for good causes, and campaigning on important issues
• One 11-a-side team that competes in the Sheffield & Hallamshire Women’s County Football League
• A Solidarity Soccer Initiative designed for women of all abilities and levels of experience
• Community projects that utilise football to break down divisions in society such as our Football for Food campaign
• Volunteering programmes for those interested in coaching, sports physiotherapy, sports psychology, sports journalism, and fundraising
There are a mixture of free and paid activities, please contact for details.