The Silver Line is the only national, free and confidential helpline for older people, open 365 days of the year (every day and night of the year).
Our specially trained helpline staff:
- Offer friendship, information and advice
- Link callers to other organisations, groups and services
- Offer regular befriending calls
- Match callers with Silver Line Friend volunteers for telephone or letter friendship
- Protect and support those who are suffering abuse and neglect
If you would like to be put in touch with Silver Line Friends, you can receive a regular weekly friendship call or write letters through the Silver Letters service. Or you may like to join a Silver Circle, which is a group telephone call where people are brought together around shared interests or subjects.
Silver Line Friends are volunteers who have contacted The Silver Line because they enjoy talking to older people. They are vetted and trained and work in pairs for safeguarding and support.
In 2015, we launched our Silver Connects which offers signposting and advocacy for older people to both local and national groups and services. This could be putting somebody in touch with a local hairdresser, finding out for you about a craft class or the number for your local GP surgery.