SACMHA is a health and social care company that provides a range of support services for older people, people with learning disabilities, people with physical impairments and/or sensory impairments, and people with mental health issues including those who are in receipt of Direct Payments or an Individual Budget. All services can be tailored to meet the needs of the individual.
The company has many years experience of providing a culturally sensitive service to clients with BME backgrounds. See also separate entry SACMHA - Support Planning and Brokerage.
SACMHA provides a Community Outreach - a flexible service to help you manage including support with your mental health and wellbeing, administration (correspondence & letters), bills, tenancy support, visits and getting to appointments etc. This can be provided in your home or in the community. Please note Sacmha does not provide personal care.
Community Outreach can include:
- going shopping for the day
- meeting up with friends and family or attending appointments
- getting out and about, going out for a meal or the theatre
- holiday support, going on a short break
- playing board games
- using public transport
- going to church
Other services provided are:
- Carers Support - one to one support to the socially isolated, this includes: group activities, signposting for carers, support to access other services and services for those you care for.
- Befriending and sitting service.
- Advocacy Service (see separate entry) - for people experiencing mental ill health, the service will not only advocate on your behalf but will help you to develop the confidence and skills to manage situations that may arise in the future.
- Getting the Best From Today's Technology - a service specially designed for those who would like to purchase one to one technology support to learn: how to use computers, access the internet, set up a DVD recorder or digital TV, use a mobile phone or choose the right computer equipment.
- Lunch Club and Drop-in Centre
SACMHA also runs a lunch club and drop-in centre (see separate entry), a carers support service (see separate entry), service user groups and a range of social and educational activities.
Meals Where You Are
- SACMHA provides meals which can be picked up or delivered for a small extra charge. Meat is halal and meals can cater for all dietary needs. Meals can be pre-ordered in single portions and can be frozen. A full menu of meals is available.
- Supported Accommodation - providing vulnerable people with accommodation in one of SACMHA's 10 supported living flats in various locations around the city pre or post hospital admission. This service is delivered following a detailed assessment, jointly conducted with colleagues in the Statutory Sector.
- Community Resource Centre - the Centre is also SACMHA's administrative base and provides access to IT, tasty Caribbean meals, a games room and a large garden. People from all kinds of backgrounds can use this Centre as a "One Stop Shop" for a range of health and social care information. The venue also has rooms available to book for meetings and functions.
Sacmha also offer volunteering opportunities, if you volunteer for them they can provide employment support including:
Preparing for Work
- Information, advice & guidance
- Help being part of your community
- Debt, money management & benefits advice
- Life skills
Work Experience and Volunteering Opportunities
- Volunteering opportunities
- Work Experience
- Work Placements
In Work Support
- Keyworker support in the workplace
- Mentoring & buddying
- Access to work / Other support