SAGE is a social therapeutic horticulture (STH) and an arts project for adults experiencing mental health difficulties
SAGE is a social therapeutic horticulture (STH) and an arts project for people experiencing mental health difficulties. Its STH activities take place on 3 allotments on the City Council's Grimesthorpe site in Burngreave. Its arts activities take place in various venues.
STH activities include:
- all aspects of gardening - heavy, light, outside or undercover
- art activities and crafts
- cooking and eat sessions (using fresh organic produce)
- opportunities to improve English, literacy and numeracy
- opportunities to engage in social activities and develop new friendships
- visits to other environmental projects
- supported progression to further training, volunteering and/or employment which can help build self confidence and self esteem and being part of your community
SAGE can also provide day opportunities for those in receipt of Direct Payments.
Social and therapeutic gardening sessions for people experiencing mental health issues
- Reflecting SAGE's friendly approach their clients are called members. Some may only want to come for a few sessions, others may stay for years; it all depends on the nature of your needs and interests.
- The service supports any adult aged 18 years and over with a mental health condition. To ensure that SAGE offers you appropriate support they will usually ask that another professional involved with you complete a referral form. Please phone the office to ask for a referral form and check on availability of places.
- SAGE can also offer supported social and therapeutic gardening placements for individuals with Personal Budgets under Self-Directed Support. Clients are supported to take part in all the activities held at the allotments. Each 3 hour therapeutic horticulture and art session includes tea/coffee breaks and lunch, usually cooked from fresh allotment produce, and includes the loan of gardening tools, boots and waterproof clothing. One to one support in encouraging and supporting a client in maintaining and developing their own garden
Singing workshops which are designed to build confidence, self esteem and physical wellbeing through singing with others in a supportive setting.
Other arts projects may also be offered, please enquire for up-to-date information.
Qualifications and Quality Standards
All staff and volunteers are DBS checked. Workers have a variety of qualifications including Social Work, Occupational Therapy, diplomas in landscape gardening and horticultural therapy. Has Public Liability, Employers Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance.
The organisation has achieved a PQASSO quality mark at level 2.
SAGE is a registered charity, number 1114743 and company limited by guarantee 5698287.