Part of Sheffield Libraries, Archives and Information. Collects, preserves and lists records relating to Sheffield and makes them available for reference and research.
• personal documents such as letters and diaries
and may be on parchment, paper, film, tape, photographs or computer disc.
• local government records
• local public records
• ecclesiastical records including parish registers
• census returns
• family and estate records including the Wentworth Woodhouse Muniments and the Arundel Castle Manuscripts
• a large collection of records from businesses, institutions and organisations
• diaries and personal papers of individuals such as Edward Carpenter and Mrs Gatty
• maps mostly from the 18th and 19th century and some photographs including aerial photographs
• microfiche copies of the General Register Office indexes to births, marriages and deaths in England and Wales 1837-2001.
Free access to www.FindMyPast.co.uk Copying facilities include photocopies, photographs and microfilms. Also has a Conservation Unit with a qualified conservator available to advise and work on archive/library material.