People with a learning disability are entitled to an annual health check with their GP.
Aims of the annual health check:
- It checks key health indicators of young people and adults aged 14 and over with moderate to severe learning disability.
- Strengthens the relationship between the practice and the patient with LD and their family or paid carer
- Enables prevention and early intervention by signposting to relevant health services
- Helps to put individuals and their families more in control of their health improvement.
- Lead to the development of a health action plan which includes the health need, the action to be taken, who will help the person do it and the date when the plan will be reviewed