Personal support for adults with learning disabilities
Mencap is the UK charity for people with learning disabilities and their families. In Sheffield, Mencap Personal Support has been dedicated to supporting people in their own homes and to access their local communities for over 20 years.
The services are available to people with a learning disability and/or a physical impairment, including people with an Individual Budget, Direct Payments or self funding. See also separate entry Royal Mencap Society - Sheffield Office.
Support is person-centred and caters for the individual’s needs and includes:
Support at home:
• one to one or group support
• Respite care in your own home
• Overnight or emergency support in your own home
• Find a new home and set up your services (moving home)
• Personal care
• Menu planning, shopping and cooking meals
• Support with cleaning and laundry and any other household tasks
• Medication Support and support managing health and wellbeing
• Support with paying rent, utilities and bills, applying for and receiving benefits, general budgeting
• other needs identified in your support plan
Support to access your community:
• one to one or group support
• Support with medical appointments and other important meetings
• Support to use public transport and work towards independent travel
• Looking for leisure and voluntary and/or work opportunities
• Planning and going on holiday
• Help with finding employment / employment support
Mencap Personal Care has helped people take part in many leisure and social activities including ice skating, swimming, going to the gym, horse riding, snooker, going to the pub or a club, arts and crafts, going to college, dance classes, music lessons, DJ’ing, family events, going to church, gardening, going to the beauticians/hairdressers, going to the cinema, bowling, shopping, keep fit, dog walking, cat socialising, trips out, keeping in touch with friends and family, meeting friends and socialising, getting out and about.
If you are looking for support not listed above, talk to Mencap Personal Support about what best meets your needs.
Prices start at £15.07 - £17.05 per hour. Any additional charges incurred while staff support you will be agreed with you e.g. travel costs/mileage at 0.4345p per mile.
Mencap support is flexible, from a few hours each week to 24hrs support each day and can fit in with your changing plans. (These prices have been provided by Mencap Personal Support, please check them yourself for accuracy).
AREAS SERVED: Mencap Personal Support covers the whole of Sheffield S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, S7, S8, S9, S10, S11, S12, S13, S14, S17, S20, S35 & S36.
QUALIFICATIONS & QUALITY STANDARDS:
Mencap is registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC), to ensure they provide a quality service. All staff have an Enhanced CRB check and are fully trained in line with the Skills for Care Induction Standards to understand the support needs of individuals and their families. Mencap Personal Support can train their staff for any specific health or support needs you may have.