Skip to main content

Help in the Home

We will all, at some time in our lives, need some help to stay independent, safe and well in our homes. Some people will need just a little support such as help with cleaning, preparing a meal, or help with shopping. Others will require more support such as help with personal care (including help with washing and dressing, getting in and out of bed, help with taking medication).

There are a wide range of organisations offering services to help you or the person you care for maintain their independence at home.

Handyperson and gardening services

Handyperson services

There are a number of handyperson services in the city. A Handyperson can come into your home to

  • do odd jobs (like fitting curtain rails, changing light bulbs)
  • do small repairs (like mending taps, fixing faulty catches)
  • fit any equipment you have purchased (like handrails).

The best way to find a reputable handyperson is to get a recommendation from friends, family or neighbours.

If you can’t get a recommendation you can look at websites like Yell (online Yellow Pages). This website shows reviews of services (please use your discretion when reading them).

There are also websites where you post your job and suitable trades people get in touch with you to give you a quote. Websites like Rated People and My Builder. Again you will need to use your judgement when reading reviews of these services. 

The Stayput Handyperson Service works with people aged 60+ and disabled people of any age. They can do small jobs, like fit hand rails on stairs or grab rails, for about half the usual cost. They can also do odd jobs like fitting door bells, changing light bulbs and hanging curtains. Call (0114) 256 4270.

If you’re a home-owner or a tenant and have general repairs, Stayput may be able to help. There’s a charge for any work done, but they offer free help with advice, surveys, finding builders and maybe with grants.

You can find some handyperson services on this directory. You will also find the council’s Recognised Provider home care services which provide handyperson services.

If you're a council tenant, you can get odd jobs done for free if you’re over 60, disabled or have severe health problems. Contact the Council’s Handyperson service on (0114) 273 5555.

Gardening services

If you’re no longer able to keep on top of your garden, there are gardening services in Sheffield that will come and help to keep your garden tidy.

The best way to find a reputable gardener is to get a recommendation from friends, family or neighbours.

If you can’t get a recommendation you can visit the Gardeners Guild website or a website like Yell (online Yellow Pages) to find a local gardener. Yell shows reviews of services (please use your discretion when reading them).

You can find some gardening services on this directory. You will also find the council’s Recognised Provider home care services which provide gardening services.

Equipment and adaptations

Secured by Design logo

It’s easy to make small changes to your home, like adding handrails, which can make it easier for you to move around.

Equipment such as bath seats, commodes and bedrails are easy to borrow, hire or buy and your doctor may be able to provide some items for free.

There are a range of local specialist shops throughout Sheffield which sell and rent equipment, including:

You can also find some useful equipment and living aids in local pharmacies.

There are a wide range of online equipment stores, including:

We also have a product showroom on this site which you can browse and buy equipment to help you in the home.

AskSARA gives you practical advice and tips on daily living, for example, how to get in and out of a bath safely, getting in and out of bed, how to manage your medicines and prevent falls.
The website has self-assessment tools to help you get the right advice and equipment for your needs.

Care alarms and alerts.

Care alarms and alerts give you the reassurance that round the clock support is only the click of a button away in your own home. A care alarm is an alarm that you wear that gives you instant access to help. Alert services are available to remind you to take medication and to attend appointments. These services can provide real peace of mind for you, your friends and relatives.

City Wide Care Alarms help you to remain safe, secure and independent in your own home, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can use the alarm to get instant access to help from the service's call-monitoring centre.
You can add extra alarms to this service to monitor certain situations and automatically raise an alarm, including:

  • bed and chair occupancy sensors
  • smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
  • flood detectors
  • fall detectors
  • property exit sensors
  • epilepsy sensors
  • bogus caller button.

The cost of the service starts at just £4.93 a week. To find out more call (0114) 242 0351 or email

Key safe

A key safe is a strong metal box to store a key to the door of your home. It’s installed on an outside wall usually near the front door, but out of sight of passers-by. Most safes have a set of numbered buttons that can be used to enter a code to open the box. You can share this code with anyone you want to allow into your home, like a carer or shopping service.

There are lots of designs of key safes. The Police recommend you buy a safe that is Secured by Design (which displays a logo). There’s a range of different key safe designs on offer on the Sheffield Directory Equipment Store.

If you need help to install a key safe, Sheffield Stay Put and Handyperson Service can help.

Help getting around the shops

You can loan mobility aids like wheelchairs or power scooters from the Moor Market (0114 273 8787), Crystal Peaks Shopping Centre (07568 146985) and Meadowhall (0333 313 2000).

Lunch clubs

There’s a host of local lunch clubs in the city. Find all council funded lunch clubs at or contact the Lunch Club Referral Service at Voluntary Action Sheffield (VAS). The referral service is open Tuesday to Thursday each week between 10am and 4pm on (0114) 253 6674.

Many of the lunch clubs can provide transport to and from the club and many of them also provide social activities.

Meal deliveries

There are several meal delivery services in the city that can deliver frozen or hot meals direct to your door, if you’re struggling to prepare or cook a meal. 

Home library service

Do you enjoy reading but have problems accessing your local library? – then why not let the library come to you!
The Home Library Service offers a selection of books (including large print), talking books, DVDs, music CDs and jigsaws, all delivered free to your home. Visit: Call the friendly staff on (0114) 273 4277 or email: for more information.

Homecare services

There are a number of home care services in Sheffield which offer services including cleaning, shopping, personal care, preparing meals, gardening, sitting services, accompanying you to appointments and social activities, support with paying bills and dealing with correspondence.

You can also find a list of all the home care services that are on the council’s Recognised Providers list.

You could look at employing a cleaner if you simply need help with domestic tasks. You can find a list of local cleaners on websites like Yell (online Yellow pages). Please use your discretion when reading reviews on this site.

Support with getting out and about

There’s a wide range of support that you can access to help you get out and about in your local community and in the city, including:

  • Community transport providers.
  • Travel Buddy Service.
  • Discount travel.
  • Local community organisations which are part of the People Keeping Well partnership. These local organisations run a whole host of activities for the community and can also signpost you to other local support and activities. They may provide transport and may escort you to appointments, wellbeing or social activities and help you gain the confidence to go out on your own.
  • Local Community Support Workers (based in your local GP surgery). They can signpost you to what’s going on locally and can accompany you to appointments or activities for the first time.
  • Age Better – Better Journeys. For people 50+ in the Firth Park Ward. Helping you to use public transport.  
  • For help getting around the shops, you can loan mobility aids like wheelchairs or power scooters from the Moor Market (0114 273 8787), Crystal Peaks Shopping Centre (07568 146985) and Meadowhall (0333 313 2000).

Many people feel socially isolated or lonely. Loneliness and isolation can happen at any age and can often be triggered by a big life change such as bereavement, divorce or separation, losing a job or retirement. There are a whole host of clubs and groups you can join which you can find out about in our things to do section.

There are also specific groups and services that support people who are lonely.

If you’re feeling lonely or isolated because you’re caring for someone, you can contact Sheffield Carers Centre for support. If you’re caring for someone with dementia, there are a host of activities for you and the person you care for to take part in.

Organisations which can support you

If you feel you need some help with your care and support you will find a list of local advice services that can support you. These organisations include:

You can also contact:

Paying for services

Many of the services, clubs and activities on this page and in this directory are free to join and use, however, you may be asked to contribute to the cost of a number of services.

To find out more about how to pay for your care and support at home visit:

Choosing a good service

Sheffield City Council Recognised Providers meet standards for good quality care.

Care providers must be registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). You can read the CQC rating and inspection reports for every registered care provider on this website.

Which? provide an excellent checklist of questions to ask a home care service to help you choose the right service for you. We have also provided this checklist as a dowloadable document, which you can print off.

Back to top Contact US
Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited