Skip to main content

Residential and nursing care in Sheffield

If you’re finding it difficult to live independently at home you may be considering moving into a care home. But most of us would want to stay in our home for as long as possible. That’s easier to do if you feel safe, and have the independence to do the things you want to do.

This page has advice on how you can get equipment and services that can make living at home easier, as well as advice on sheltered housing, supported housing and moving into a care home.

There are many organisations in Sheffield that can talk over your options with you:

Age UK Sheffield (for people aged over 50 years)
Alzheimer’s Society - Sheffield (for people with Alzheimer’s and dementia)
Citizens Advice Sheffield
Deaf Advice Service (for deaf people)
Disability Sheffield (for people with disabilities and long-term conditions)
Sheffield Autistic Society (for people on the autistic spectrum)
Sheffield Carers Centre (for carers)
Sheffield Mind (for people with mental health problems)
Sheffield Royal Society for the Blind (for blind and partially sighted people)
Shelter (for people who want to talk over their housing options)

Short term help at home

You can get short-term support to help you regain your independence at home from the Council’s Short Term Intervention Team (called STIT).

This kind of help can make a real difference when getting better after an illness, after a fall, or when leaving hospital.

The team will give you

  • information and advice about organisations near to you that can help you regain independence in your own home.
  • the strength and ability to continue to live in your own home, like help with personal care (washing and getting dressed), preparing meals and medication.
  • the confidence to live independently by providing the opportunity to talk through what you are struggling with and either learn new ways to do things or use equipment to support you.
  • advice on how you can keep in touch with family and friends.

The service may be provided for up to six weeks , but often people are helped to regain their independence in a much shorter time and don’t need any long-term support.

A friendly member of the team will talk you through what will happen and how they will help whilst you’re getting support. There’s no cost for help up to a maximum of six weeks, although there may be a cost for any equipment you buy or care alarm service installed into your home. You will be charged for any support provided after six weeks.

If you think this service could help you visit the First Point Reception at Howden House in the city centre, or contact the Council’s First Contact Team (details below). Or make an appointment to speak to your GP and they will be happy to talk you through your next steps.

Long term help at home

If you need long-term help at home there’s a whole range of services that can help you.

Read our really helpful Care at home or move home? advice page: This page tells you all about services like

  • home care.
  • equipment services, including care alarms.
  • gardening and handy person services.
  • meals delivered to your home.

Then get details of all the services available in Sheffield from the Help in the home section:

Housing Support to remain in your home

If you need housing support to help you stay independent at home, there’s help available whether you’re a tenant or own your home.

Housing support can help you to:

  • set up and maintain your home or tenancy.
  • prevent you from becoming homeless.
  • move home if your home is no longer suitable for you.
  • make sure your home is safe and secure.
  • manage your finances and benefit claims.
  • develop independent living skills and confidence.
  • access health, treatment services and support groups.
  • access community groups and activities.

If you’re aged over 55, you can contact the Live Well at Home housing support service run by South Yorkshire Housing Association. Get more details from their website:, email or call them (0114) 290 8359.

Supported living

Supported living helps people who have a tenancy or own their own home, and need help from a care and support service so they can live as independently and safely as possible.

You may need this support because you have a learning disability, or a physical or sensory impairment.

You may need a few hours of support a day or week to help you with the things you need to do, or you might need 24 hour support to meet all your needs. Your support can help with things like

  • managing bills and money.
  • cooking and healthy eating.
  • getting a job.
  • shopping.
  • learning new skills for independence.
  • personal care and well-being.
  • managing medication.
  • accessing employment, sports and social activities.

People who have support living can live in a variety of different places, like

  • a home you live in with someone else, or a group of people. You all agree to live together in shared accommodation.
  • a home you live in on your own – a flat, house or bungalow.

Many of these services in Sheffield have agreed to meet Sheffield City Council standards for good quality care and support that is centered on people. The standards help make sure people can choose how they want to be supported and achieve their goals. We call this the Supported Living Framework.

You can find details of all the services that meet these standards on Sheffield Directory:

If you think you need help from the Council to arrange or help you to pay for your supported living contact the Council’s First Contact Team. (details below). 

Moving to a more suitable home

There’s a whole range of housing services that help you be as independent as possible, delaying the time when you’ll need to consider moving into a care home.

Mutual exchange

Thousands of people have been helped to swap their rented home with someone else. This is known as mutual exchange.  This can help if you need to move to a different part of the city, or even the UK, or if you want to swap because your home is no longer suitable for you.

You can find someone yourself, or check what homes are currently on offer. Details of local homes can be found on the Sheffield Property Shop website: You’ll also find the advice you need to get this right – or you can call the Property Shop on (0114) 293 0000. Homes across the country are advertised on these websites: and


If you’re in social housing you can also apply to move to a property with fewer bedrooms if your home is too big for you. It’s called Under Occupancy Priority. You can find out more about this on the Sheffield Property Shop website: You’ll also find the advice you need to get this right – or you can call the Property Shop on (0114) 293 0000.

Medical priority rehousing

The Council’s Health and Housing team provide a comprehensive assessment for medical rehousing priority.

The team may be able to help you if you have an urgent housing need related to a health condition or disability. This includes things like:

  • you have severe mobility problems and cannot reach basic amenities in your home, like a toilet, bath or shower.
  • you need to live closer to a carer for essential support with daily living.
  • you have a long-term health or mental health problem and your housing situation is making your mental health problems significantly worse and you find it difficult to live independently.

The team can also advise you on support to allow you to remain in your home.

To apply for medical priority housing complete an application form. To get a form call the team on (0114) 273 5522 or from any council offices or First Points. 

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is designed for people aged over 60, who want to live independently but need some additional help and support. Sheltered schemes vary but can provide things like

  • self-contained flats, studio apartments or bungalows.
  • communal facilities such as a lounge for social activities, gardens, kitchen, laundry.
  • safety and security.
  • neighbourhood officer or scheme manager.
  • housing management and support service.
  • caretaking service for the communal areas.
  • 24 hour emergency response through an alarm service.

You can find information on sheltered housing in Sheffield and the rest of the UK, from the Elderly Accommodation Council website: For information about Sheffield City Council’s sheltered housing contact the Council Housing Service on (0114) 293 0000.

Extra care housing

Extra care housing schemes help adults aged over 55 to live independently, with the confidence that help is there if you need it.

The schemes provide self-contained flats and bungalows with staff on hand to help when needed.

The schemes vary in size, location and facilities, with many offering homes to rent, buy or part-buy.

Sheffield has five schemes which you can contact direct:

  • Guildford Grange at Norfolk Park – call (0114) 273 7888.
  • The Meadows in Shirecliffe – call (0114) 243 5749.
  • Brunswick Gardens in Woodhouse – call (0114) 294 0000.
  • White Willows in Jordanthorpe – call (0114) 237 7960.
  • Roman Ridge in Wincobank – call (0114) 280 0540.

Residential care and nursing homes

Deciding to move into a care home is a big decision, that’s why we’ve given you details of all the other ways you can get help to live in your own home. But if you're considering moving into a care home it's important to get good advice so you know what will be right for you. In this section we've provided some helpful advice and answers to frequently asked questions to help you make the right choice for you. 

How will I know whether I need to move into a care home?

Not everyone will need to move into a home – there are now lots of ways you can get help to remain at home.

As well as the advice we’ve provided above, the Council’s First Contact Team can give you, or your family and friends, ideas of how you can support yourself and how to proceed. You’ll find their contact details below.

If you’re paying for your care and support and feel you cannot be independent in your home any longer, you can contact any of the homes listed below about moving into their home. We strongly recommend you use the advice below to help you choose which home you will live in.

If you want help from the Council to arrange your move, or help to pay for your care and support, contact the First Contact Team (details below). The Council will talk to you about the problems you are having and assess your care and support needs. If the Council agrees you need to live in a home they will help arrange your place in a home.

The Council will also assess your finances. Unlike NHS healthcare, social care is not free. Most people pay for some or all of their care and support in a home.

Your finances include your income (including any benefits and pensions) and any savings or investments you have. The Council will use details of your finances and national rules based on the Care Act 2014 to work out what you can afford to pay and what, if anything, the Council will contribute towards the cost of your place in the home.

The Council will not ask you to pay more towards the cost of your care in the home than your financial assessment shows you can afford. If you choose not to tell the Council about your finances you will have to pay the total cost of your place in the home.

The Council will discuss all this with you and answer any questions you have. But you can read more about the financial assessment in this factsheet: Paying for your care and support in a residential or nursing home. Download a copy from the Council website:

Getting financial advice

Choosing how to pay for your long-term care is a big decision. You should speak to a Financial Adviser (who is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority) to discuss which option is best for you.  A Financial Adviser will be able to discuss how you can help make your money last and let you know about financial products specifically designed to help with paying care costs.

You will have to pay to see a Financial Adviser but they must tell you how much their advice is going to cost (and whether it’s a fixed fee or based on the time they spend working for you) before you see them. The Money Advice Service (a free, independent service) can explain about the different types of Financial Adviser and help you to find a choice of Regulated Financial Advisers. You can call them on 0800 138 7777.

If you’re entering into a legal agreement with the Council or someone else (such as for a defined payment agreement) you should also consider taking legal advice (for example from your solicitor or from Sheffield and District Law Society – call (0114) 272 3655).

You can get free and impartial information on money matters from a range of local and national organisations. This should not be instead of talking to a Financial Advisor, but can be very useful in addition to it.

Get more information about the cost of paying for care from

  • Age UK. Call (0114) 250 2850.
  • Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA). Call (0333) 2020 454.

Check you are getting the benefits you are entitled to:

  • Sheffield Citizen’s Advice. Call 03444 113 111.
  • Or visit the Government advice website:

Choosing a care home and what to do next

Don’t forget what’s important to you! This could be being close to family and friends, socialising, taking part in a local activity, or being able to enjoy time outdoors. Residential and nursing care homes in Sheffield differ in location, size, the special services they provide, equipment available and the cost. So it’s always important to keep in the back of your mind those things that you feel are most important to you when choosing a home.

There are lots of things to think about when choosing a home, so to make things easier for you we’ve created a checklist of key questions to ask when choosing or visiting a home. You can download this checklist below.

Also try finding out what others think. Check out what people in Sheffield are saying about local homes by reading some of the comments on the Care Opinion website:

All the homes in Sheffield have to register with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The CQC makes sure the homes meet minimum standards of good services, and then inspect the services regularly.

When you go to the CQC website:, you can find the rating for all homes in  Sheffield and read their inspection report. We strongly advise you to read the most recent reports for the homes you are considering, because the standards in homes can alter for a variety of reasons.

You can contact the CQC through their website or by writing to CQC National Correspondence, City Gate, Gallowgate, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 4PA, or call them on 03000 616161.

What’s the difference between a residential home and a nursing home?

A residential home provides 24 hour care by trained staff and is regularly visited by a district nurse. The type of care provided is similar to the care that you would get if a relative or friend looked after you (including washing and dressing, meals and going to the toilet). You can stay in a home for a short time (known as respite care) or live there permanently.

There are special homes for people with a learning disability, a physical or sensory impairment, a mental health problem, or a drug or alcohol problem.

A nursing home provides care like a residential home, but also provides 24 hour nursing care by trained nursing staff. The person in charge is always a qualified doctor or nurse.

For both a residential and nursing home you would get

  • your own room.
  • help to be as independent as possible.
  • 24 hour care support.
  • help with washing and dressing, at meal times and help to go to the toilet.

Which home will I like?

We often hear that people find it easier to make a decision about the home they want to live in, after they have paid a visit. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you and your family and/or friends visit all the homes you are considering.

What happens if the residential or nursing home I choose is full?

If the home is full you can choose to live in a similar home while you wait. Then when a place is available you can choose either to move or stay where you are (this will depend on your individual circumstances).

What if I don’t want to go into another home temporarily?

If you’re not at risk the Council can give you advice on how you can support yourself to stay in your home until a vacancy is available. Of course if you are at risk, or if your needs can only be met fully by living in a home, then the Council will advise you to move into another home temporarily.

Who decides when I cannot (the Mental Capacity Act)

The Mental Capacity Act (2005) is there to help people make their own decisions and plan for the future if they have a condition which affects how they make decisions (such as dementia or a learning disability).

To find out more about this visit the Council website:

If you think that you need help to make important decisions such as where to live, contact the First Contact Team (details below).

Living in a home

When you’re living in a home, there are some things you need to know that can help make sure you get a good standard of care:

Visiting rights

All the homes in Sheffield should encourage you to receive visitors and to keep in touch with your family and friends. The Care Quality Commission recently gave advice to homes to make sure they know how important it is for you to maintain relationships with people important to you.

Personal allowance

While you live in the home you will have a personal allowance. This is an amount of money that you must get to pay for personal items while you live in a home. Your personal allowance can’t be used to pay for your place in a home. It should be used to pay for newspapers or magazines and for your personal care such as hairdressing and toiletries.

Making a comment, compliment or complaint

If you have a comment, compliment or complaint about a home there are several things you can do.

  • Tell the staff at the home that you see every day.
  • Speak with the person in charge of running the home. They are usually called the manager or matron.
  • Speak with the ‘residents committee’ where you can put forward your ideas on running the home.
  • Contact the Care Quality Commission (see details above).
  • Contact Sheffield City Council Customer Services. Visit:, or write to Customer Services, Sheffield City Council, Town Hall, Pinstone Street S1 2HH. Or call into the First Point reception at Howden House in the city centre, or call (0114) 273 4567.

You can also contact Healthwatch Sheffield about any concerns you have.

Healthwatch Sheffield is your local consumer watchdog for health and social care. They’re independent from the statutory authorities and the NHS, and exist to make sure everyone in Sheffield can have a say in how services are designed and run.

You can talk to them about your experience of using health services (like GPs, dentists, opticians, pharmacies and hospitals) and social care services (like care homes and home care services). They want to hear about what is working well, as well as what needs to be improved. Your feedback is used to help influence and make recommendations on how to improve local services. Find out more by visiting their website: or write to Healthwatch Sheffield, The Circle, 33 Rockingham Lane, Sheffield S1 4FW. Or you can email or call them on (0114) 253 6688.

Protecting adults

All adults should be free to live a life free from harm and have their rights and choices respected. Some adults are less able to protect themselves and may find it difficult to let their wishes and feelings be known. This may make them more susceptible to abuse or neglect.

To find out more about what adult abuse is and how to report it, visit the Council website:

If you or someone you know is being abused or neglected report your concerns to the Council’s First Contact Team (see details below).

What if I am living in a residential home, but think I need nursing care?

Tell the home manager or matron, as well as your family and/or friends. A nursing assessor will then decide if you need nursing care in the home. If you need this NHS Sheffield will pay for your nursing care in the home.

What if I am living in a home and I don’t like it?

After you move into a home there’s always a trial period of up to four weeks. During this trial period if for whatever reason the home is not best suited to your needs there is an opportunity to move home. You or your family/friend should speak to the home manager or matron.

Sheffield City Council First Contact Team

To contat the Council's First Contact Team

  • Call into the reception at First Point, Howden House in the city centre.
  • Or write to: Sheffield City Council First Contact Team, Howden House, Union Street Sheffield S1 2JQ.
  • Or email:
  • Or call: (0114) 273 4908.

All of the information on this page has been provided as a downloadable pdf - Residential and nursing care in Sheffield - advice page

Care homes by postal district

Choosing a home checklist

We’ve provided a handy checklist which you can download to help you choose a care home. The checklist will help you to think about what’s important to you when looking for a residential or nursing home, and what questions to ask when you contact or visit a home.

Back to top Contact US
Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited