Skip to main content

Energy bills and saving money

Local schemes and support:

South Yorkshire Energy Centre is based at Heeley City Farm, Richards Rd, S2 3DT. They are dedicated to keeping local people warm and comfortable and the service is impartial and free. They will help you to find better energy deals, manage your bills, and improve your home's energy efficiency. They have a drop-in advice session on Thursdays 11am-3pm (and sessions by appointment at other times).
Tel:  (0114) 303 9981.

Age UK Sheffield support older people to switch tariff and/or supplier, give advice on eliminating drafts and ventilating properties, advocacy to liaise with landlords where a property is in poor condition.
Address: First Floor, South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue, 197 Eyre Street, Sheffield, S1 3FG
Tel: (0114) 250 2850

Citizens Advice Sheffield have advice centres around the city, where you can go for advice if you are struggling to pay your fuel bills. They also have lots of online information on getting help with bills  They also have a price comparison tool to compare energy suppliers.

Sheffield City Council provide information on reducing fuel costs and the Big Sheffield Switch.
Website:, to switch suppliers with others in Sheffield and save money.

National schemes and support:
Find energy grants and ways to improve your energy efficiency at GOV.UK

Affordable Warmth Obligation (from your energy supplier):
Warm Home Discount: Vulnerable residents could get a £140 discount on electricity bills through the Warm Home Discount Scheme. The discount will not affect your Cold Weather Payment or Winter Fuel Payment.

Cold Weather Payment: You’ll get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, 0°C or below for 7 consecutive days.
You’ll get £25 for each 7 day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.
Website: You can put your postcode into a checker on this webpage to see if your area qualifies for the payment.

Winter Fuel Payment: Residents could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay for heating bills if they were born on or before 5 May 1953. Most payments are made automatically between Nov and Dec. Winter Fuel Payments are usually awarded automatically to those who get State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

Ofgem covers all the information you need about changing and complaining about your energy supplier.

Energy Saving Trust provides an independent and impartial advice service on how to save energy (including Green Deal and ECO).

Money advice service. (Set up by government). Help to save money on your fuel bills.

Last Updated: 10/12/2018
Back to top Contact US
Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited