Skip to main content

Transitions Guide - Preparing for Transition in Years 12 and 13 (age 17 to 19)

Being supported towards greater independence and employability can be life-transforming for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). This preparation for adulthood should happen from their earliest years and no later than by Year 9 (age 13 or 14). When a young person turns 18, they are considered as adults in their own rights for most services.

This article covers the preparation for transition in the following areas:

  • Education and training
  • Health
  • Social Care
  • Finance and Benefits

Last reviewed: 09/03/2020

Education and training

Young people must continue in education or training until their 18th birthday.

All students aged 16 to 19 years should follow a study programme that stretches them, prepares them for adulthood, and supports their progression into work or further study. For students who have an EHC plan, a study programme can apply up to the age of 25.

Study programmes should always include English and maths, but at an appropriate level. Some students with SEND will be able to work towards achieving GCSE grade C (4) or above, whereas others may qualify for an exemption from the requirement to attain a grade C (4).

While some students with SEND should be on study programmes which help them achieve academic qualifications, others will benefit more from programmes which concentrate on high-quality work experience and other non-qualification activities to help them prepare for employment and adult life.


Young people can undertake Supported Internships or Traineeships which aim to prepare them for employment or apprenticeships. You can find more information about apprenticeships, traineeships and supported internships on the following advice page: Apprenticeships, traineeships and supported internships.


Having the right education and training outcomes for your child specified in their EHC plan is very important at this stage. This is because the decision whether a young person aged 19-25 still needs an EHC plan will depend on whether they have achieved their education and training outcomes – and if they haven’t, whether remaining in education/training will help them to achieve them.


If your child’s main need is related to their health, they should be referred for an Adult Continuing Health Care Assessment. This should be done well before their 18th birthday, to allow enough time for the assessment to be completed and for any discussions about the care they are entitled to.

Adult health services use Hospital Passports for people with learning disabilities as a way of sharing important information about the patient and how best to care for them. To download a Hospital Passport that you can complete on your computer, go to

If there is no equivalent adult health service for your child to transition to, their health needs will be managed by their GP.

Community Health Services

If your child has a learning disability, they should be referred to the Community Learning Disability Team at Love Street. This service offers specialist health care assessment and interventions including: psychiatry, psychology, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, speech and language therapy and community nurses. For more information, call 0114 2262900 or search the Sheffield Directory (

If your child has autism or ADHD and no associated learning disabilities, they can be referred to the Sheffield Adult Autism and Neurodevelopmental Service (SAANS) for assessment, support and counselling. For more information, see or call 0114 271 6968 or 0114 271 8133.

Social Care

Most young people who will need care and support after they are 18 will already receive services from the Council. But not everyone will. For example if:

  • You have a degenerative condition
  • Your needs have largely been met by your school but you may need alternative support when you leave school.

You will have a transition assessment if you are likely to have care and support needs after you are 18.

If you are supported by the Children’s Disability Service, your assessment will usually happen when you are 17, although planning for the future will start as part of reviewing your Education, Health and Care Plan when you are 14. Find out more

If you do not receive support from the Children’s Disability Service you can still ask for an assessment. Contact the Council’s First Contact Team on 0114 273 4908 and explain that you would like to be assessed for support as an adult.

Finance and benefits

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit for people aged between 16 and 64 years who are on a low income, out of work or unable to work. It is replacing most of the means-tested benefits for people in this age group.

A young person aged 18 or over may be able to get Universal Credit if they are on a low income or out of work, and they and their partner have £16,000 or less in savings.

If a young person aged 18 or over is still in education, they can only get Universal Credit if all of the following apply:

  • they are in “non-advanced education” (this is any qualification up to A Level or equivalent)
  • they are under the age of 21
  • they have no parental support

There are different rules for 16 and 17-year-olds:

For a full list of eligibility conditions, go to:

If the young person declares a disability or health condition when they make a claim for Universal Credit, they may be asked to attend a “Work Capability Assessment”. The outcome of this assessment determines whether they will be required to look for work or prepare for work as a condition for getting Universal Credit.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) provides a programme of intensive support for all 18 to 21 year olds making a new claim to Universal Credit who are required to prepare or look for work. This is known as the Youth Obligation Support Programme.

Please note: If a young person is aged 18 or over and getting residential or community care services from adult social care, getting Universal Credit could lead to them being asked to pay some charges towards those services. More information:


Access to Work

Access to Work is a government grant scheme which is aimed at supporting disabled people to take up or remain in work. Grants can be given for a wide range of interventions that help to break down barriers to work. For example, communication support at job interviews; a reader for somebody with a visual impairment; a specialist job coach for a person with a learning disability; specialist aids and equipment; awareness training for colleagues; help towards taxi fares for someone who cannot use public transport; alterations to premises; or access to a mental health support service.

To qualify for the scheme, the young person must be aged 16 or over and have a disability or health condition (physical or mental) that makes it hard for them to do parts of their job or travel to and from work. They must also be employed or self-employed; have received a job offer; or be on an apprenticeship, traineeship, supported internship, work trial or work experience. Support is also available for job interviews.

The amount of money the young person can get will depend on their circumstances. It doesn’t have to be paid back and will not affect their other benefits.

Contact: 0800 1217479 /

From the rest of the 14 to 25 Transitions Guides

You can find advice for other stages in transition on the following advice pages, which include specific advice on the topics listed:

Preparing for Transition in Year 9 (age 13 to 14)

  • Education
  • Health

Preparing for Transition in Year 10 (age 14 to 15)

  • Education
  • Transport

Preparing for Transition in Year 11 (age 15 to 16)

  • Education
  • Transport
  • Health
  • Legal Matters
  • Finance and Benefits

Young adults (age 19 to 25)

  • Education and training
  • Transport and travel
  • Employment
Last Updated: 14/03/2022
Back to top Contact US
Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited