Skip to main content

Self-Funding Guide: buying care and support

buying care and support in Sheffield picture

This information will help you if you’re buying care and support for yourself, or for a family member or friend.

Often people call this being a ‘self-funder’.

You may choose to self-fund your care and support because:

  • you know what you need, and you want to arrange and pay for it yourself because you don’t want to ask Sheffield City Council for help.
  • you don’t qualify for help from Sheffield City Council.
  • you know if you ask Sheffield City Council for help you will have to share information about your finances (your savings and capital and your income), and you don’t want to do this.
  • you have more than £23,250 in capital and savings, so you know you will pay for all of your care and support.

There’s also information available if you want to plan how you will pay for your long-term care and support needs.

Unlike NHS health services, care and support is not free. There are Government rules that councils must follow on charging for care and support.

The first rule is:

If you have more than £23,250 in capital and savings, you pay for all of your care and support.

There are some limited exceptions, for example for support to help someone who has a mental health problem when they leave hospital.

If you want help to pay for your care and support Sheffield City Council will assess your care and support needs, and will carry out a financial assessment following the Government rules to work out what you can afford to pay.

Detailed information about the rules and how the Council works out what you can afford to pay is available from Sheffield City Council.

In September 2021 the Government announced reforms to the rules on paying for social care.  The proposals include a cap on care costs, and changes to the rules on capital.  These reforms are proposed to take effect from October 2023. This information will be updated when the Government provides more details.

You may be self-funding your care:

  • at home or in the community. Buying support to help you to continue to live independently at home and to continue with your usual activities.
  • to live in a residential care or nursing home. Buying a place in a home so you can be supported and get the care you need.

If you think you need to move into a care home, first read more about the many different ways you can delay your move in the section about care at home below.

And if you need financial advice there’s information in the last section below.

Care and support at home or in the community.

Care and support in a residential care home.

Plan how to pay for your long-term care and support needs.

About this information

The information was written in November 2021. It will be updated in November 2022.

Sheffield City Council Information Service.

Email: Call 0114 273 4119.

Last Updated: 28/01/2022
Back to top Contact US
Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited