Skip to main content


Visit GOV.UK to find information about benefits. This includes benefits calculators and information on: Universal Credit, Tax Credits, Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) and low income benefits, Carers and disability benefits, Child Benefit, benefits for families, heating and Housing Benefits, death and benefits.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit for people who are on a low income or out of work (and are of working age). It is being rolled out across Sheffield from November 2018 and will gradually replace benefits including:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

Most people apply online, You can get help to do this at your local Jobcentre or you can use the Universal Credit Helpline (Tel: 0800 328 9344). Universal Credit is paid monthly. You do not need to do anything until you hear from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about moving to Universal Credit, unless you have a change in circumstances. You can speak to Jobcentre Plus about this.
Find out more at

Child Benefit

You get Child Benefit if you’re responsible for one or more children under 16 (or under 20 if they stay in approved education or training). There’s no limit to how many children you can claim for.

There is a higher rate for the eldest or an only child. Child Benefit is usually paid every 4 weeks. You can get Child Benefit paid weekly if you’re a single parent or if you or your partner are getting certain benefits, such as Income Support.
Find out more at
Online (including webchat):
Tel: 0300 200 3100
Post: HM Revenue and Customs - Child Benefit Office
          PO Box 1
          Newcastle Upon Tyne
          NE88 1AA

Child and Working Tax Credits (HM Revenue and Customs)

You get Child Tax Credit if you’re responsible for one or more children under 16 (or under 20 if they stay in approved education or training). You don’t need to be working to claim Child Tax Credit. Only one household can get Child Tax Credit for a child and Child Tax Credit will not affect your Child Benefit. 

You could get Working Tax Credit if either of the following apply:

• you’re aged from 16 to 24 and have a child or a qualifying disability
• you’re 25 or over, with or without children

You must:

• work a certain number of hours a week
• get paid for the work you do (or expect to)
• have an income below a certain level

Tax Credits are gradually being replaced by Universal Credit. You cannot claim Tax Credits and Universal Credit at the same time.
Find out more at
You can claim online (and talk to an advisor by webchat)
Telephone: 0345 300 3900
Textphone: 0345 300 3909 

Free School Meals (Sheffield City Council)

If you have a child attending a Sheffield school or maintained nursery and receive these benefits, you may be entitled to free school meals : Universal Credit, Income Support, income based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income related Employment Support Allowance, support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999, the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit run-on. Find out more at

Infant free school meals. If your child attends a state funded infant school and is in Key Stage 1 (reception, year 1 or year 2), they are entitled to ‘universal infant free school meals’ regardless of your income. Please contact your child’s school to tell them you would like to have ‘universal infant free school meals’.

You may also be entitled to free or subsidised school milk. Find out more at

To apply for free school meals or milk you can apply online at or you can ask the school to apply for you.
Tel: 0114 273 4567

Help with childcare and other child related costs

A GOV.UK webpage which provides advice about what financial and other support there is available to help parents, including: Care to Learn, Carer’s Credit, Child Trust Fund, Childcare Grant, Guardian’s Allowance, Healthy Start, help paying for childcare, Maternity Allowance, Maternity Pay and Leave, Parents’ Learning Allowance, Sure Start Maternity Grant, compensation if you were injured or got an illness while serving in the armed forces.
Find out more at

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support (Sheffield City Council)

You may be entitled to help with your rent or Council Tax if you’re on a low income. How much you are entitled to depends on your circumstances and income. People who work and people who are unemployed can claim.

There's a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) scheme which can help you if you get Housing Benefit but you still need help to pay your rent. There is also a Council Tax Hardship Scheme (CTHS) which helps people who already receive Council Tax Support and who are in severe financial hardship.

DHP and CTHS come from a fixed pot of money, so the council try to give the extra help to people who need it most. Once the money in the pot is spent, no further awards can be made.
Find out more at or call 0114 273 6983.

Housing Benefit is gradually being replaced by Universal Credit (for working age people). Find out more about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support at

You can claim online at 
Tel: 0114 273 6777
Post: P.O. Box 1310, Sheffield. 

Council Housing tenants and money issues

Call the Council Housing Service on 0114 293 0000 if you’re having problems paying your rent.  Find out more at

Local Assistance Scheme

Sheffield Local Assistance Scheme supports independent living and helps Sheffield residents in crisis situations with an identified need that cannot be met from another source. This service replaced Crisis Loans and Community Care Grants that were previously administered by the Department for Work and Pensions.The Local Assistance Scheme administers Sheffield Crisis Grants and Sheffield Independence Grants.
Find out more at
Telephone: 0114 273 4567

Financial help if you’re disabled, sick or caring for someone

A GOV.UK webpage which provides advice on the support you may be entitled to if you have a disability, including:

  • disability and sickness benefits (Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Attendance Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance)
  • Carers Allowance and Carers Credit
  • Blue Badge parking scheme and Vehicle Tax Exemption or reduction
  • Motability scheme
  • Disabled Facilities Grant
  • Help with housing and council tax
  • Low income benefits
  • TV licence discount
  • VAT relief
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit and Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces compensation
    Find out more at

Learning disabilities and money issues

Mencap is a national charity for people with a learning disability. Visit their website (which includes information about money issues for people with a learning disability and their families) or call them on 0808 808 1111.

Mental health and money issues

Rethink Mental Illness provides support and information for people living with a mental health condition. Visit their website (which has a section on mental health and money issues) or call them on 0300 5000 927.

Older people and money issues

Independent Age provides information and advice for older people, their families and carers, on issues which include benefits and entitlements and paying for care. You can call them on 0845 262 1863 or visit

You can also contact Sheffield Age UK for support with money issues or contact by phone: 0114 250 2850 or email:

Contact the Pensions Advisory Service for pensions advice. Visit their website Pensions Advisory Service or call them on 0800 011 3797.

Benefits when you have care needs

Paying for long-term care is a fact of life for many people, whether you choose to stay in your own home or not. Fortunately, there are benefits available to help you manage.

Health and Social Care costs

See our advice page to find out about health and social care costs including paying for care.

Last Updated: 13/12/2018
Back to top Contact US
Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited