Skip to main content

Help with Childcare Costs

You could get financial help to pay for some or all of your childcare costs.

Tax credits and Universal Credits

Carers may be able to get extra tax credits to help with childcare costs, if you’re a working parent. Single parents must work 16 hours or more a week to get the childcare element of WFCTC.

You will only be eligible for this extra help if you are using registered childcare. This includes providers registered on the voluntary part of the Ofsted Childcare Register.

You may also be eligible to use childcare tax credits if the service is run directly by a school.

Childcare vouchers

Using a registered provider will also enable you to use employer supported childcare vouchers.

Under this scheme the cost of childcare vouchers can be deducted from your gross pay by your employer, meaning you have less tax and National Insurance to pay. HMRC childcare vouchers and tax credits calculator

Free Early Learning

Parents of eligible 2 year olds and all children aged 3 and 4 years old can receive up to 15 hours of early education and care for a minimum of 38 weeks of the year, for more information please see ‘About Free Early Learning and Play’.

Some providers allow parents to access this for less hours spread over a greater number of weeks. This can help contribute to the cost of childcare for working parents.

Parents in Education

Financial support for parents who are studying is largely available through the training provider (college, university, training company) or the local education authority. Support available can include Discretionary Learner Support, Childcare Grant and Care to Learn.

Last Updated: 11/08/2017
Back to top Contact US
Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited