The Changing Faces' Yorkshire and the Humber service, funded by Children in Need, helps support children, young people and their families, who have a mark, scar or condition that affects their appearance.
Our highly skilled practitioner can help families and young individuals up to the age of 18, in managing everyday situations like staring, questions, comments, as well as more particular issues like bullying at school, support in beginning college or University, or preparing for surgery.
Your child may have been born with a birthmark, cleft lip and palate or other condition. Perhaps, you are a young person with a mark or scar from a dog bite, or cancer, or have developed a condition like facial palsy, vitiligo, or acne.
The size, cause or visibility of the visible difference doesn't always relate to how it can make you feel as a young person, child, or how it can affect the family as a whole. What is important is how big an impact it has on everyday life.
Our practitioner can tailor their support to meet an individuals' needs. This can include
- One to one support, either by person or by phone, Skype or email
- Support, information and advice to help with feelings and address concerns
- Practical self-help guides children, young people and families to build confidence and self-esteem
- Advice on how to find out about a condition and its treatment - though we don't provide medical advice or referrals for treatment
- Support for teachers and schools, including practical guides, lesson plans, and effective approaches to prevent bullying, or meetings with your child's school, health professionals or others
To find out more please call our Yorkshire and the Humber office on 0114 2536662 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We also have 3 Skin Camouflage Service clinics in our region. Our free skin camouflage service helps teach individuals how to self-apply specialist cover creams and can offer a way to cope, for someone living with scarring, or a skin condition. The creams are fully water-proof and are available on prescription. For more information visit changingfaces.org.uk/skincam or phone Skin Camouflage Service on 0300012 0276