What is child sexual abuse?
Child sexual abuse is illegal in the UK and covers a range of sexual activities, including:
- possessing images of child pornography
- forcing a child to strip or masturbate
- engaging in any kind of sexual activity in front of a child, including watching pornography
- taking, downloading, viewing or distributing sexual images of children
- encouraging a child to perform sexual acts in front of a webcam
- not taking measures to protect a child from witnessing sexual activity or images
- inappropriate sexual touching of a child, whether clothed or unclothed
- penetrative sex
Both boys and girls can be victims of sexual abuse, but girls are six times more likely to be abused.